Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sel-Regulatory Behaviors

I use to frequent the Vermont Square Library as an adolescent back in the nineteen-sixties. Vermont Square Library was built in 1913, and it happens to be the oldest branch in the Los Angeles library system. This particular library is located directly around the corner from the home where I grew up. Unfortunately my visits there were not for the literature, nor the solitude back then. Along with a group of friends from my neighborhood, on this beautiful lawn located immediately behind the library we would engage in fearless games of football, and baseball, against our arch rivals, "the notorious Park Boys." Those where some nostalgic times.

However, after returning to the classroom a few years ago, I found myself returning to that historical library as well. This beautiful, renovated facility, along with its computers for public use, and wi-fi connection, now severed me a different purpose. After several failed attempts, I knew it would be impossible to study at home, but the quiet, serene environment the library provided, proved perfect for my studies. My home is a constant flow of human traffic, flanked by a barrage of noise from televisions, music systems, and a never ending series of questions and trivia. My ability to seek solitude became even more accessible when the new Exposition Park, Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune Library opened just a few blocks from my present home. The convenience of this new library's proximity allows me to visit even more frequent. Since my return to school, these two branches have help to provide me a resolution to a dilemma that I could not have achieved in the comfort of my own home, " the control of my physical environment."

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done. You have a way of building a picture in the mind of the reader. You highlighted the challenging behavior and how you conquered the challenge simultaneously.

    Both libraries sound like great places to study and focus. Your descriptions make me want to visit both.

    ReplyDelete